Leavenworth County Humane Society, Inc. (LCHS), serving all of Leavenworth County, is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, financially supported by the generosity of county residents. LCHS is not a government entity, and is not a subsidiary of,or funded by, the Humane Society of the United States. Our programs and efforts are funded by donors, and performed by volunteers.
No-Kill Shelter to be Built – The LCHS long term goal is to build and operate a state-of-the-art no-kill shelter in Leavenworth County. This is a large undertaking and will only be accomplished by your generous donations. You can designate your donation be used specifically for the Building Fund, or choose another program.
Animals Needing Homes – LCHS makes an effort to find forever homes for animals that come into our care. While these pets wait for their forever homes, they live with and are loved by LCHS foster families. Please consider fostering a pet for LCHS. You can see our pets in foster care at Petfinder, or visit the LCHS Facebook page for other animals we know need to be re-homed.
LCHS welcomes your input. Email LCHS or leave a message at (913)728-2881. The phone line is not staffed, but messages are collected and responded to weekly. The most efficient way to reach us is by e-mail.
Leavenworth County sets the standard for humane communities – becoming a place where all animals are treated humanely, and every pet has a loving forever home.
We believe that:
- Animals are capable of pleasure and pain and are worthy of human compassion.
- Humans have a moral responsibility to treat animals humanely.
- People want to provide lifelong appropriate care for their animals.
- Companion animals enhance the quality of human life.
- Violence, cruelty and neglect toward animals is related to violence, cruelty and neglect toward humans.
- Promoting compassion toward animals encourages people to treat each other with respect and kindness.
- Humane communities attract law-abiding responsible citizens that contribute to the overall quality of life for all.